Friday, December 26, 2014

I should have started writing a year ago. Writing helps. My thought is that the writing helps me and doing a blog may also help others. I didn't start a year ago because it wasn't real. Today it became very real, very fast.

 My son was moved to the state prison in Bledsoe County, TN, today without our knowledge. We went for our weekly visit and he was gone. The day after Christmas. The sheriff and head prison guard even state "it's their policy" to let families know, but "it's a holiday and we're short handed." "We forgot." "We're terribly sorry." Blah, blah, blah. They moved my son the day after Christmas and didn't have the courtesy to let us know. We find out when the disembodied voice comes through the barely serviceable intercom system to say "He's not here. You'll have to call on Monday." Call on Monday.

 Are these people with no children of their own? Would they sit and wait through three endless nights and two agonizing days to find out where their child had been sent? I know he's a prisoner. I know he's done wrong and is where he belongs - but he's mine. The decision to start calling people at home while they were on their own time was an easy one. I hate to bother you at home (Lie. No I don't), but we need some answers. And so now we know where he is. I don't why that's comforting, but it is. And at this moment I'm glad he's anywhere but the hole-in-wall county jail where no one even cared enough to call. It didn't matter that the head guard has known him since he was eight. But Mr. Sheriff, you've got bigger problems than your staff not following your "protocol". You've lost this family's votes.

 So this is a start. There will be more. There will be backstory and there will be the continuing story.

 To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment