Saturday, December 27, 2014

I grew up believing law enforcement personnel were above reproach.  I know that was probably naive, but I had no idea how naive.

If you or a loved one is ever questioned or taken into custody, immediately clam up and say nothing beyond "I would like to see my attorney."  They will promise you anything.  "It's off the record." (It isn't.)  "If you cooperate it will be easier on you later." (It won't be.)  "We'll speak on your behalf to tell how much help you've been on this case."  (Ha.)  "We'll keep you posted on the status of your son's incarceration arrangements and call you before anything happens."  (Double ha.)

There is only one thing you can believe.  "Anything you say can and will be held against you."  It doesn't matter if you cooperated.  It doesn't matter if you opened your soul and told them everything of your own free will.  It doesn't matter if your information gave them insight they didn't have before.  They are not your friends and it will ALL be held against you.  Say nothing.  Speak only to your attorney.

I recently enjoyed watching The Judge starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Robert Duval.  I found insights I would never have had before.  And when RDJ spoke the line "If you don't talk, you might walk" it was an epiphany.

Too many people in law enforcement have power issues.  This is important to remember because it leads to all the above.  Yes, there are good people out there.  I have met a few of them.  But it is impossible to tell which type you are dealing with until it's too late.

"I have nothing to say until I speak to my attorney."

Smile.

Repeat if necessary but say nothing else.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment